יום שישי, 12 בדצמבר 2008

מתכון השבוע - מעודה (עוף סורי)

Haven't posted here in quite a while now; Lately, the dropping nyc temperatures have driven me to the sweet bosom of soups. Yes, soups. Simple, comforting soups, which aren't really a good topic for recipe writing in my view, unless you're one of *those* chumps. which I'm not. what'd'ya'mean which chump? you know. soup writers. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin grin, wink wink, say no more? oh, bag it.

Anywhhhhaaay, as soon as I came to London and moved in with good friends, my appetite for destruction has come back. Yey! This recipe is an all time favorite at our family weekend dinners, and 2 days ago I had my first go at it - for real, on my own (apart for some skype guidance from mom). And oh, sweet glory, what a success!
Man,
Enough with self praise already, it _is_ a chicken, after all. True - special, magical, wicked, wicked chicken, but still, A Chicken. You can't tell from the looks of it, but when done just right, it'll make the angels sing, it will. Not that I claim to have done that on my first try. Narr, sire, my head would've been so deep up my arse had I tried to claim that - but even without the years of experience, I think it's pretty awesome! sorry, in the UK now, uhm, absolutely smashing! no, without the enthusiasm, let me try again, calm and civil: *just* smashing. Try it at home, kids!


And now, without further adieu....


Syrian Ma'ude


Ingredients

  • 1 Chicken, dissected to 6-10 pieces as you prefer (or equivalent amount of drumsticks/thighs/quarters/... but not breasts - we need some fat here for the nice flavour)
  • 1.5 Kg Potatoes, diced to 1.5 cm cubes
  • 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
  • Black Pepper, finely ground
    (so... you can take your fancy pepper mills and shove them you-know-where - not in a bad way, of course. I did the same with mine, still hurts a bit, actually)
  • Salt
  • ~5 spoons of oil for frying
  • Half a cup of water

Preparation

1. Fry the potatoes using half of the oil until lightly golden - do several iterations if needed, then remove from frying pan/pot

2. Fry the chicken in the remaining oil for several minutes until nicely coloured, then remove from frying

3. In a nice big pot (iron cast ones are da sheatz, I recently discovered. too bad they cost like a second-hand moped), arrange potatoes and chicken parts alternately, seasoning with salt, pepper and Cinnamon as you go along. Sing a little song, you're almost there!

4. Pour in half a cup of water and heat on stove until boiling, then lower the flame to minimum and cover almost completely.

5. Cook for an hour and a half, checking water level periodically, adding boiling water if needed.


That's it! Invite your love one(s) for a fabulous authentic dinner!


אין תגובות: